"Shadow Self"

I was looking everywhere
Yet your shadow was nowhere to be found
I was looking everywhere
Yet I only came across a hollow sound
You looked over me, carried me gently
I looked at the framed picture, silently
Realizing that your face had already faded

I was looking everywhere,
For the realization,
The realization that never came across my mind,
You've told me - please don't hide
Don't hide under your mistakes,
It will not help to reduce the ache,
The ache that is blossoming from inside
Leaving you only a shadow self

I was looking everywhere,
You showed up and took the ache,
Took mistake by mistake –
And let me breathe
I've stopped looking
I've stopped looking at my shadow self
You were there all along
Telling me to keep on going on,

You have let me breathe
I inhaled your lilac scent
Slowly comprehending what you've meant
That there's no right or wrong

There's only the inhaled scent that
redeemed my wounds full of shame

Comments