Why I’ve become enchanted with Korean culture — part 1










I remember being a 16-year-old girl, I was in the tenth grade. I can still recall it was the beginning of summer. It was during July of 2007 when I saw my first Korean tv show.
Growing up I was an avid tv watching teenager. Having watched numerous Argentian tv shows over the years, such as “Chiquititas” and “Rebelde way”. It was not foreign to me to watch shows in a different language, I get accustomed to it and liked it.
I think it was a friend that recommended me to watch “Coffee Prince”.
It was starring Gong Yoo and Yoon Eun-Hye. Being a girl I fell for Gong Yoo charms a big time. The storyline was a typical rom-com, a girl falls for a guy and of course, there are a few subplots in between to make it intriguing:
Yoon Eun Hye’s character was dressed as a boy in order to get the job of a barista at a local coffee shop that hires males only. While working at the coffee shop she falls for her strict boss — Gong Yoo’s character.
The show ended, and I didn’t have any intention of watching other Korean tv shows. In fact, at that time I had a quite busy tv shows regimen.
I was watching between 3 to 7 tv shows weekly, if not more.
I was strict with my schedule, checking all the upcoming shows on all the popular television networks such as CW, ABC, and NBC.
Back then, there was an amazing American content and my hands were full with my school work as well. NO TIME for any Korean content.

After school, I was drafted into the Army, mandatory in my country, even for women. My service was 24 months long and I was discharged by late 2011.
After being discharged I applied for a test equivalent to the American SAT’s.
In the meantime, I’ve started my first ‘real job’ at a global company.
The job was frustrating, as I was taking calls from customers for 9 hours a day for almost 2 years. It was exhausting. I thought that I should look for ways to widen my horizons so I enrolled at a local college.
 I felt kind of lost, as I was not sure the path chosen was the right one for me.

By June of 2013, I’ve miraculously heard of Gong Yoo’s new tv show (after a break of 6 years from TV, yes “Coffee Prince” was the last one) named “Big”, this time co-starring with Lee Min Jung (great romcom actress) and Suzy, former MISS A bandmate, perhaps it was her first major role.

"Big" has brought up all the emotions I felt while watching “Coffee Prince”.
It took my breath away, the plot was intriguing, sad and funny.
The soundtrack was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time, I cried buckets. Needless to say, I didn’t know the language, but I didn’t have to, there is this feeling in music that transcends beyond mere words, it touches your soul on so many levels.
This show gave me so much comfort, and also the soundtrack that I kept listening to on repeat many months later. and even years later.









©Vera Tarlov || Han River, Seoul, South Korea

As “Big” was very comforting I’ve started checking out more Korean tv shows and pop artists. And grew fonder of the Korean culture by day.
I came to realize that Korean culture reminded me of my Russian culture and roots.

I have never thought of it but I missed hearing people talking to each other with deep respect, or have specific public manners.
I was in awe that all I value was accustomary in Korea and was valued in the same way.
As an immigrant, I have always felt different, because of my native culture people always assumed I am musically inclined. Having the last name of a popular Russian singer didn’t make it easier.

I guess people's stereotypes of specific cultures are really strong and they categorize you accordingly.

Comments