'uneven memory'

Walking wistfully across the street,
I cannot let go of the memories
The unending view in front of me,
The speeding cars,
Once it was the place that I called my home,
Once it was the place I knew was safe

Tracking the rough steps poured in the pavement,
There was time before, that the curiosity devolved my guts
There are painful sightings that I could not forget
Still there was not even a day that didn’t fill me with regret,
The burden of the knowledge is still burning in my blood
I know that solving the mystery was not the thing that I was after
I sense my trembling body, and it occurred to me,
I knew that the danger was still within reach
There was a shame in my eyes,
I knew why, but I couldn’t tell,
The pain was unbearable to carry on,
I had to let go, the danger I assumed,
Was not the one I feared?
It was a danger of me getting too close,
To the place I once called home, but not anymore

Comments